Saturday, January 17, 2009

Jan 16 & 17

01/16/09
Today is a hiking day! Whoo hoo!!! We drove out to the Saguaro National Park out in the desert. We were hiking all day and our group of four made our own trails, ha ha. We ended up going on a walk and climbing through a wash. There were downed cacti, pointy jagged rocks, and a great breeze. Erin, Mark, Brad and I had a great time just wandering around and taking in all the scenery. After returning from the wash, we took the Hugh Norris (aka HUGE Norris) that took us out really high up in the mountains. It was rather hot and all the hills and inclines wore my legs out! I rolled my ankle on the way down = not fun. We had a good time though : ) Honestly, I wasn't planning on today being of the exciting days of the trip so I can pleasantly say that the day was a success! We got home mid-afternoon and we all needed to rest up. Caitlin and I watched Transformers for a little bit and found out later the some of the guys were watching it too! For dinner we went out and got some Subway sandwiches (yum) and some soda / juice. It was fun because we all had dinner and got to chat for awhile. We shared our hiking stories, joked around and even brought up pottery a couple times! I had too much energy so I wanted to walk around some more. I wanted to do like 100 laps but we only got about 27 in ; ) Joe, Adam, Erin and I had some great group hugs to end the night. Everyone needs a group hug sometimes!

01/17/09
Today is our first day up in the mountains. We had a long drive up the mountain and after our busy day yesterday everyone felt like they needed to nap, and we totally did! The high altitude is starting to take its tole on me and I've been nauseous all day : ( Our hike didn't really help today. Hopefully it's not a bug! It's really amazing though being up here. We are imaging tonight and it is outstanding. Adam and I have found the catwalk to be a great, relaxing space. The stars cover the sky and we talked about how small it makes you feel. Lots of shooting stars, planets and galaxies that one could never imagine seeing back home, thanks light pollution. I'm really looking forward to when I get to learn how to run the telescope (hopefully tomorrow). Well, it's like 12:40 now and we still have four hours left. I think I'm going to go outside again and be amazed with all the stars.

2 comments:

  1. Energy?! Really, where did it come from exactly? I have no idea where we are getting this energy to keep up with life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isa, Mark, Brad and I all went on our own hike. Mainly because we didn't feel like killing ourselves going up a mountain and all. So we decided to go down a trail...that wasn't really a trail it was a wash. It was a lot of fun because we had a lot of flat area to walk, then we hit huge rocks we had to climb so we were having fun with that...and kind of making up our way as we went along. Then we realized that the trail just stopped and that it was really just a wash...but we figured we had lots of time since everyone else wanted to do a crazy hike. So then we found a fallen Cactus that we felt the need to take pictures next to...and maybe on top of also. Then when we got to our starting point we realized where we went so wrong and found where the real trail was. So we took that trail. As we were on it we noticed a trail called the Hugh Norris, which we decided was like a Chuck Norris adventure hike and that we would probably have at least some self respect for taking that trail instead of the easy 'grandma' trails that were there. Then we realized it went a lot longer then what we had expected so we turned around and booked it back to the cars to find everyone waiting for us...I guess our hike was more challenging than the other...maybe?

    ReplyDelete