Sunday, January 18, 2009

First night at the telescope

1-18-09

Today was our first day at the telescope. When we first arrived here we sat around for a while looking around and getting comfortable with everything. After that we went on a little bit of a hike through the mountain where there was snow! When the night started Erin controlled the telescope but after she was done she taught me how to run the program. I was then able to run it and it wasnt as hard as i thought it would be. My first ever image was of ngc2440 pretty exciting i know!!!! Over the coarse of the night I was able to learn a lot of the things that were going on and got a fairly good handle on how to run most things. When there was time where i wasnt doing any thing i spent it on the catwalk looking up at the stars. I was able to see 5 or 6 shooting stars which i was really excited about. Erin, Isa, Adam, and I spent a lot of time out there looking at the stars and talking and in gald that i got a chance to get to know them all better. After we shut the telescope down for the night i went to bed n slept till 1pm whoo hooo!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I had a lot of fun the first night. I was happy to relearn how to run the telescope. I really enjoyed being able to then teach Dave and Joe what to do. I felt special. Throughout I went up to the catwalk. The first time I went up Dave, Adam and Cailtin were up there. We hung out for a while looking up at the sky. We began to use the binoculars. Caitlin left and Adam thought that everyone left him so he locked the door to the catwalk. So Dave and I started to get cold and realized we were locked out. We realized we were locked out so we decided to walk around to warm up a little. By the time we walked around once we checked the door again and it was open...that was odd. The Mark came down about five minutes after us...we had just missed him. That was pretty funny.
    Later, Joe, Isa, Adam and I all went out on the catwalk. We all sat under a blanket and watched for shooting stars...it was a real good time.
    Over all it was a great night, we got lots of good images and it was a very clear night.

    ReplyDelete