Sunday, January 18, 2009

1/18 Kuiper Day 2

We hiked around the little town of Summerhaven today. After two or three years, the mountain is still all burned up. Most of the dead trees have finally started to fall, and the town has rebuilt itself. There are all of these cute little cabins nestled in the hills and ridges. We got fudge.

We came up with an idea for a new SPS/astronomy t-shirt... Big letters: "Expose yourself" small letters: "in astronomy" or "Expose yourself every night" "in astronomy" with a bw picture of one of our images on this observation run. hehe.

I got to image the reflection nebula surrounding the star Merope in the Pleiades constellation (aka: the Seven Sisters or the Subaru). I can't wait to start stacking and processing my data. The nebula has a well defined pattern. It will be interesting to look at the structure after image processing.

Everyone else has chosen an object to look at tonight. I'm really impressed with all of the images so far.

I'm much more awake tonight and thus, much cheerier and excited about what we are doing.

There are some clouds to the west... I hope the weather holds out for us tonight.

1 comment:

  1. Tonight has been meh. Since the sky isn't all that clear we have all been doing our own thing as far as object imaging goes. Since I just went to Kitt Peak and picked objects to look at I pretty much tried to help people pick objects. I found one that I thought would be cool to do, M78, but Joe and Adam also said they liked that one. Joe ended up imaging that reflection nebula and I think the final will end up looking pretty good.
    While working on collecting images I started talking about skinny jeans and then I guess that brought on a whole other topic about sewing...yeah...its been going on for like 10 minutes now..and its not over.

    ReplyDelete