Thursday, January 15, 2009

1/15 Mirror Lab and Elixir of Love

The Steward Mirror Lab was impressive. We got to see the rooms where they create large spin-cast mirrors. They were in the process of polishing a mirror for the Magellan telescope and were preparing one of the LSST mirrors for polishing. I was glad they didn’t kick me out for not having close toed shoes.

We got all dressed up and went to dinner with Art and Linda. They took us to a fabulous restaurant serving central Mexican cuisine (I think?). The restaurant changes dishes every evening, so we had a little over ten meals to choose from. I had the pollo morita y queso. It was fantastic. All of the food was fantastic… fresh… flavorful. We all shared chocolate mousse and flourless chocolate volcano cake with berries. This was the best meal I have had since I ate in Cape Town last year.

Art and Linda took us to an opera by Donizetti called Elixir of Love. The production was cheery. I thought the music had beautiful harmony and melodies. It made me feel like singing and smiling. Anything that makes me feel like that is good in my book.

Thank you again Art and Linda! :)

1 comment:

  1. I thought the Mirror Lab was AWESOME! I was so glad we were able to go. I thought our tour guide was very well informed and gave us a very good tour. One of the things I thought was really cool was how little the giant screws weighed that they used for the honey comb structure. I also thought it was cool to see the glass in its honey comb structure up close. I got a little sad when our guide talked about the size of the Magellan secondary mirror, being .9 meters. This made me sad because I just felt so awesome at Kitt Peak when I used the .9 meter WIYN telescope. ...it was still real awesome...but still Magellan is crazy!

    ReplyDelete